The Great British Lunch Off: Round 19 – Post-workout Lunches
Last week was a landslide victory for the mackerel salad – so it seems you guys like your protein! Lucky for you, we’re bringing you a whole host of protein-heavy lunches for a post-workout lunch.
If you do manage to squeeze in a workout at lunch (and we applaud you for that) then give one of these recipes a go to re-fuel.
Got a suggestion for a high protein lunch? Tweet us @soggysarnie or comment below. And don’t forget to vote for your favourite!
Chicken wrapped in bacon and salad £3.30
- Cream Cheese
- Spring Onions
- Slice the raw chicken in half and fill with creamed cheese.
- Wrap this in bacon
- Cook the chicken in the oven for 30 mins until soft
- Wait to cool, and then add it on to a nice bed of salad, tomatoes and spring onions
Thai green chicken curry £2.10
- Chicken breast
- Green beans
- Thai green curry paste
- Coconut milk
- Baby New potatoes
- Fish oil
- Long grain rice
- Par-boil the potatoes and beans for 5 minutes and set aside
- Fry the garlic and 4tsps of curry paste in a large pan for 3 minutes
- Add coconut milk and mix in and bring to the boil
- Add chicken strips and turn down to a simmer for 12 minutes
- Add a splash of fish oil and a handful of fresh basil leaves and stir the potatoes and beans in to warm through
- Serve with rice for a well-balance and filling post work out lunch
Quinoa and halloumi salad £2.20
- 200g quinoa
- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 500ml stock
- 1 bunch coriander (chopped)
- a handful of roasted peppers (chopped)
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- olive oil
- 250g halloumi (sliced)
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the onions and peppers
- After a few minutes, add the quinoa and fry for 3 minutes
- Add the stock and cook for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, heat the grill and cook the halloumi until golden
- Make the dressing by combining a tablespoon of oil, half the chopped coriander and the lemon zest and juice
- Once the quinoa is done, add it to a bowl with the dressing and the rest of the coriander.
- Serve with slices of halloumi on top
Meatball muscles £3.00
- Tomato sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Toasted roll
- Salad (onion, lettuce and cucumber)
- Roll beef mince into balls and bake in oven with a tin of tomato sauce
- Add meatballs to bread roll and layer on cheese.
- Put in microwave for one minute and when hot add salad