THE LAST GREAT BRITISH LUNCH OFF: ROUND 20 – WINNER’S FINAL
It’s over. Very sad we know, let the tears flow. From rainbow salads to creepy Halloween-style treats, American sandwiches and grainy grub, it has been a wonderful year thinking up healthy, wholesome and declicious meals to inspire your very own lunch box creations. Last week, there was a whopping win for the quinoa and halloumi salad in the post-workout lunch-off. In fact, this mouth-watering recipe has made it’s way into the winner’s final today, which brings the best of all our lunch offs together to BATTLE IT OUT.
As always, get involved by voting for your all time favourite in the poll at the bottom of the page, leave us a comment, Facebook us or tweet us @soggysarnie.
Battle of the best!
Quinoa and halloumi salad (£2.20)
lemon (juice and zest)
Bunch coriander (chopped)
Handful of roasted peppers (chopped)
Red onion (chopped)
250g halloumi (sliced)
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the onions and peppers
- After a few minutes, add the quinoa and fry for 3 minutes
- Add the stock and cook for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, heat the grill and cook the halloumi until golden
- Make the dressing by combining a tablespoon of oil, half the chopped coriander and the lemon zest and juice
- Once the quinoa is done, add it to a bowl with the dressing and the rest of the coriander.
- Serve with slices of halloumi on top
Blueberry Scotch Pancakes (£.1.30)
- Add flour and sugar into a bowl with an egg. Whisk until it becomes a lumpy mixture.
- Smooth the mixture out by gradually adding splashes of milk.
- Heat a frying pan with oil and ladle in a small bit of batter
- Keep the pancake small and thick. Only turn it when bubbles begin to form on the surface.
- When ready, add natural yoghurt, plenty of blueberries and sprinkle with golden syrup
Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Bagel (£2.50)
- Cut open the bagel with a sharp knife
- Smooth a thick layer of cream cheese over both sides and add the smoked salmon on top
- Squeeze some lemon on the salmon and enjoy.
Grandma’s chicken noodle soup (£3.00)
- Bring broth and water to simmer over stove
- Separate chicken meat from bones and skin, add skin and bones to broth and simmer for 20 minutes until bones release their flavour
- Add oil, onions and carrots
- Add chicken, broth, thyme and rosemary